Monday, August 9, 2010

Room4acubby Inspection Service

So Sunday afternoon her indoors dropped me off at the house (I can now call it a house now instead of a block) to perform an uninterrupted inspection.  I had a camera, a tape measure, a note bad and a copy of AS1684.2 Residential Timber-Framed Construction - Part 2: Non-cyclonic areas.  I also had a copy of AS1684.2 N1/N2 Supplement 2 Residential Timber-Framed Construction Part 2: Non-cyclonic areas N1/N2 Supplement 2: Timber framing span tables - Wind classification N1/N2-Seasoned softwood-stress grade F7 (supplement to AS1684.2).  Now I'm used to quoting codes but I think that that last one is ridiculous.

I started by wandering around the house taking photos of things that looked suspect and measuring bits and pieces.  I had already reasonably familiarized myself with AS1684 however I had only got to the wall section, I'm yet to read the roof and bracing section, however I will get there tonight hopefully.

Following this I went through all of the tables in the supplement to see that the spans and spacings of the studs, the noggins the trusses etc. all met the requirements.  The only things that didn't match up were some of the spacings of the bearers, however given that I was reviewing to stress grade F7 rather than MGP10 I think it was all OK.  Unfortunately I couldn't freely download the MGP10 supplement as work so I had to go with F7 which is not as stiff a grade of timber as the MGP10 (Machine Graded Pine grade 10).

The following is a list of concerns that I have with the construction as it stands.  This is from memory and with no photos.  I may add more photos and more items tonight:
  • No subfloor insulation, which differs from plans
  • Cracks in three stumps
  • Overhanging of bottom framing plates over particle board flooring, up to 40mm*
  • Insufficient nailing of particle board flooring (nails should be 150mm apart at ends, they were more like 200mm) 
  • Use of multiple timber beams for load bearing jamb studs etc did not have sufficient joining nails.  AS1684 requires nails at at least 600 centers.
  • Deep bottom chord on short span truss compared to longer span trusses*
  • Hold down straps in garage are not connected to timber*
  • Top plate splice in lounge appears poorly finished*
  • Missing noggin in lounge room 
  • Missing noggin in rumpus room
  • Rumpus windows are the wrong size
  • Only one set of bracing on North wall*
  • Poor bricks / mortar near rear garage door. (I think these have been done deliberately so that they can be easily replaced with vents)
  • Large gaps around some windows*
  • No stain glass in windows (they may come this way and then require replacement)
  • There is a stud directly where the return air will be going
  • Nails in aluminium windows which may cause dissimilar metal corrosion. 
  • Some general poor quality timber in places and poorly aligned  strutting in the roofing. 
  • Very poor site drainage has water pooling near most foundations
  • No flashing used on garage bricks* 
  • Timber columns used for alfresco whereas design calls for brick piers (most likely a temporary solution). 
  • Termite protection on top of stumps may not be up to scratch* 
  • Wonky verticals under lounge room window*
  • Only two brick ties in garage where it will connect to front lounge window*
 * - items which are yet to be verified in the code or other documentation.
 Even though the above may look like quite a long list I am really quite happy with the progress and the quality is really very good compared to some inspection reports I've had a look through.

I have a few more things that I want to do before I finalise my review however.  I need to finish going through the roof and bracing component of AS1684, I need to review all of the photos to check things like corner blocking of studs etc. and following fit off of electrical and plumbing I will want to have another look to make sure there are not too many cut outs etc.

I am in the process of arranging a site visit with the Site Supervisor so that I can go over the above.  I wrote the following nicely worded email to the builder to organise this and as usual I got a prompt response saying that it will be actioned and they will give me a time.

"I have quite a few queries associated with the framing at our house, all of which I am sure that the Site Supervisor can answer very easily and satisfy my concerns, however I feel that it would be easier to accomplish this with a site visit and a walk through.

Is it at all possible to arrange a walk through with the site supervisor at any time, I will be able to make myself available at almost any time. The queries include things like:
  • missing noggins 
  • no subfloor insulation 
  • the occasional misaligned brick.
All of which may be as simple as these have been deliberately left that way to facilitate another stage in the construction, however I just want to make sure that they are fixed if they are an issue."

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a comprehensive list - are you sure you are not a building inspector? I will be most interested to hear what the SS has to say, and how quickly these things will be corrected.
    I may have to hire you to do my inspection when the time comes (and I am not joking!). Keep us posted. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janine, wait until after my meeting with the SS before you ask for my services (which will most likely be charged out at either clicks on my adds or cups of coffee / glasses of wine). The above may just be from a conservative engineer who know nothing about residential construction.

    I have a meeting scheduled for early Thursday morning so I will let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete