Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Research on Queries / Some pictures

I had a bit of a chance to look through the BCA (Building Code of Australia) today and look through some codes, so I have reviewed some of my queries / concerns.
  • Overhanging of bottom framing plates over particle board flooring, up to 40mm*  The Building Commissions Guide to Standards and Tolerances states that an over a slab there should not be more than 10mm of overhang.  I could not find any details relating to timber on particle board, however this would be similar.
  • Deep bottom chord on short span truss compared to longer span trusses* - I will need to discuss this with the builder to see if I can get a copy of the frame design.  This does not make sense to me.
  • Hold down straps in garage are not connected to timber* Table 9.4 gives minimum connection details and states that three nails on each leg of the strap is required.
  • Top plate splice in lounge appears poorly finished* Cl 9.2.8 of AS1684.2 gives minimum connection details for the top plate.  I don't think that this has been met.
  • Only one set of bracing on North wall*  This looks OK, however I will still ask about it.
  • Large gaps around some windows* I'm sure this is to allow suitable fixing etc. however again I will just ask.
  • Very poor site drainage has water pooling near most foundations. Figure 3.1.2.3 of BCA gives guidance as to avoid water pooling under a house. The guide to standards and tolerances also states "Slab and footing failures are defects when they are caused by foundation movements that are the result of local drying and wetting caused by such factors as the effects of trees, excessive wetting or lack of site drainage when these factors were present during construction."
  • No flashing used on garage bricks* Again this may be OK, however I will just ask.
  • Termite protection on top of stumps may not be up to scratch* I have not been able to find any details on this, however I'm not confident in the capping on the stumps.
  • Wonky verticals under lounge room window*  I'll need to measure this to see if it meets the standards and tolerances
  • Only two brick ties in garage where it will connect to front lounge window* I missed this one in the BCA I think I may be able to find this one.
Here are some photos of the problems
Lack of insulation
Crack in Stump
Overhand of bottom plates
Poor site drainage

No comments:

Post a Comment