Sunday, August 1, 2010

Frame Started

Hi Everyone,

Sorry about the lack of posts.  We've been away.  We got a text on Tuesday from a neighbour, apparently w whole pile of timber was delivered.

We returned on Friday to see the following:

More bricking has been done (up to top of garage) and all of the walls have been done.  It was fantastic wondering around the house and imagining myself in the kitchen and thinking of what the garden will look like.  Here are some views of different rooms:
View from the kitchen out the window to North and out to alfresco.
View out to alfresco.
View down to rumpus
Our highlight windows in the rumpus.  They are actually lower than we thought, but looking at the plans they seem to be in the right place.  Oh well we'll live with this.
View out rumpus rear window

The only things that seem to be amiss are the wall extension into the walk in pantry isn't long enough and her indoors spotted some cracks in the concrete piers.  We'll mention these to the our construction manager on Monday and I'll also ask for the structural design of the frame, as I want to make sure everything is correct.  From my quick look at what they have done so far everything seems to be in the right place.  There is still some bracing and boards that don't seem to have been installed however I presume that these are just yet to come.

4 comments:

  1. Just a query, did you consider getting an independent building inspector? Some of the other blogs I am following are having major problems with Metricon especially. It sounds like you know what you are doing though. I thought I may consider it at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janine,

    I'm hoping that I can do the inspection myself, however having looked through KY and Jay Kylee's blogs there is definitely a lot to look at. Hopefully Romeo will be good and give me the structural design of the frame and this would be a great reference to check most items.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also planning to build with Jamieson and considering whether or not to engage a building surveyor. Does anyone know if its worth it and how much will it costs? Any recommendations who to used ?

    Cheers
    JNK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jimmy I would definitely recommend a building inspector. I'm not using one, however I am experienced in engineering and construction and have a reasonable idea of what to look for. Have a look at the following: KY's Big Adventure and Jay and Kylee's House they have had a lot of things noticed by their inspectors. Also go to homeone and look through this thread about the need for independent inspectors to see if it makes up your mind.

    ReplyDelete